G-BVLV

Subject: G-BVLV
From: RonSwinden@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 17:09:13
Dear Grahm S  thanks to you and Jim for releasing details of the mishap to
G-BVLV.Having built flown and bent my  cherished Kitfox Zebedee  I know just
how he must feel.  I was trying to get down in similar conditions to Jims
rather than taking off but the effect was the same.  I was luckier than Jim
in that I got a full years super flying before my disaster. But!
 uncomfortable as it might be for our ego's at the time it is only by sharing
info on such occurences that other pilots can benefit and
thus learn how best to handle the Europa in the full range of possible
flying  conditions, it is sad that we do not get similar reports from  other
similar occurrences,  there have been more!!!!
For myself I have always seen the problem  described as being the
possible downside of the unified one lever undercarrage flaps
control. To get jumped  prematurely into flight on the back of the drag curve
with the flaps down  could perhaps be dealt with by splitting the flaps from
the u'cart.
I have  discussed the proposition in the past  with a couple of friends and
with Andy. Clearly there are disadvantages (not least of which being the
capability of landing gear up due to brain fade) but maybe the better gust
penetration of the clean Europa for take off  could be worth having, given of
course the requisit runway length???  If the shortest possible t/o distance
were
required then one could still take off with flaps if the other circumstances
permitted.    Any thoughts anyone or have I got it all wrong???.

 The question of the wing wheels would possibly best be solved by simply
mounting them fixed permanently down.  This could result in a slimmer
assembly and could further be helped by fairings on the vertical legs.
According to my reading of the subject such fairings could  reduce the drag
by a factor of 10 ?  which might mean that the none retracting version might
even have less drag than the retracting variety. Any thoughts anyone??

PS Thinks Sad that the first and only "Factory Contribution" that we have had
on what is otherwise an incredibly useful  forum was totaly negative,
unsigned and ignored the fact that Pete Thomas who does so much work for us
all had  already well made the point that we should not take anything on our
(or for that matter any other) forum as gospel.   Ron S.

PPS.   We still need articles, an Editor, a Social secretary, and a treasurer
if the Europa club and  mag are to survive and provide an independent  voice
and service for  Europa builders and flyers.  We must have volunteers please
in time for the AGM at the PFA rally   Also if anyone has any ideas concerned
with how the Europa club, mag and forum should work together for the benefit
of us  all will they please produce them (preferably written out)  for
consideration  here and/or at the AGM.     Ron S No 33. Vice chairman Europa
club.