Pin holes in filler

Subject: Pin holes in filler
From: Peter Davis <101621.3070@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 15:43:22
To those long-standing subscribers to this forum I apologise for raising this,
I'm sure much aired (sic), topic again, but has anyone come up with a way of
removing most of the small air bubbles from the filler mix whilst still in the
pot prior to applying it onto the surfaces?

I merely ask because I am pondering this imponderable at the moment. It strikes
me that it would be a 'Good Thing' if something could be come up with which
would minimize this problem, although I must admit that I'm not sure how much of
a problem it may turn out to be. I suspect that it is only a problem for the
person painting the 'plane - and that won't be me!

My thoughts and experiments are very much in their infancy at the moment but
they are working something along the lines that if the pot and contents could be
vibrated rather fast then the bubbles will rise to the surface and burst.

All I've tried at the moment is a two sided cam made from a bolt with two sides
of it's head filed off and generally shaped; stuck in the chuck of a bench
mounted drill, and spun. I then made contact with the pot and it did indeed
remove quite a number of the bubbles.

However, even I can see that this is very Heath Robinson and someone else must
have got further alone with this line of thought.

How about a few ideas - even ones that didn't work to save abortive
investigations.

Regards,

Peter