Re: DANGER! Cr** fuel system

Subject: Re: DANGER! Cr** fuel system
From: RonSwinden@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 17:02:02
Graham Singleton rightly made the point that we should not lightly alter a
design that has served well for a long time but, in the case of the problems
experienced by Pete Kember I think we should not lightly dismiss the fact
that he was left trundling across the Irish sea not knowing his true fuel
state because water got into the system. Leaving out the filter from the vent
line would put the system back in line with the original specification but
would also allow water to flow into the petrol tank, a bit worrying really???
  Luckily I spoke to Andy this pm. He was unhappy about changing a system
that had served him well (on his Long eze)  for 11years during which he has
many times flown thru heavy rain and never had water problems with his fuel.
 He mentioned that his system has a small hole drilled in the back of his
vent pipe to ensure that, if the kamilkarzi bee comes along the vent
continues to work thru the back hole simple init????  He is including
directions for modifying the vent pipes in his latest update of operating
instructions I believe.  After thinking about it  I suggested that because of
the back hole  air must  flow, at some considerable speed into the front
facing hole of the vent and out of the back one, If water goes in with the
air it will almost certainly I suggest run round the outside of the bend and
leave by the back entry so to speak. If this is so then this would explain
why Andy never has had water problems.  Andy agreed that it seemed a likely
explanation and as he was going to recomend the back exit hole in the vents
anyway think that we just may have a system that does all we want without
electonics after all.
Anyway I am happy to try it and I believe it should work well.   Richard was
unhappy about the effect of the pitch attitude on the accuracy of the guage.
Surely a few seconds level flight is a small price to pay for an accurate
assesment of the fuel state of the aeroplane.  I intend to fit a gascolator
in place of the petrol filter. It has a top tapping intended for use with a
primer, as I do not have or need a primer I shall connect my level guage to
it, unless I (or any of you) can  think of a good reason not to. Hope that
the above gives you some thing to think about. Please let me have your
comments/questions Ron S No 33.