Re: Strobes/Be seen

Subject: Re: Strobes/Be seen
From: Peter Lert <plert@csn.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 1996 21:47:04

On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, John Bampfylde wrote:

> Has anyone out there managed to find a good strobe/fuselage 'light' to make
> Europas more visible?  Aircraft Spruce catalogues have dozens of strobes for
> wings, fins etc, but no obvious choice.  Also, is on top between cockpit and
> fin a good location for it?

        Not a bad location if you want to make the a/c more visible in
the daytime--but *horrible* at night as you'll be blinded once per second
by the reflection from the wings, not to mention a "frozen" prop blade
appearing before you on each flash.

        Best way to go if you can afford the pounds (both weight and
money) is dual wingtip strobes: 360-degree visibility to all comers, but
no "backflash" to bother you.  I'm planning along those lines and intend
to install an appropriate length of *thinwall* plastic pipe (shouldn't
weigh more than a pound or so per wing, max) as a conduit for nav and
strobe light wiring.  Note that Hoskins makes a nice little wingtip unit
incorporating a nav light, a strobe, and a white rear light--at least
here in the USA this is a legal replacement for a white tail light, thus
precluding the need to install one in the rudder and change the mass balance.

                                Peter Lert
                                US #38  (I think...just got the tail!)