Under skin Aerials/conduits etc.

Subject: Under skin Aerials/conduits etc.
From: Tony Renshaw <renshaw@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 15:15:52
Recently Richard Meredith-Hardy replied to a message about aerial fitment.

>>Has anyone any thoughts on the fitment on antennae.
>>
>We have fitted a VOR antenna under the skin in a wing.  We made it
>ourselves (from some thin copper strip left over from the church
>roof repairs!)   Don't ask me how it was tuned properly, that was
>done by my partner in crime Dave Simpson who knows about these
>things, but it was pretty simple.  Cabling is taken down a bit of
>plastic conduit which runs thru. the cores.  This conduit is
>arranged so we could also fit nav. lights in the tips if we wanted.
>
>We intend to fit a semi-floating BNC connector arrangement in the
>wing root which connects automatically when the wing is fitted.

Dear Richard,

Any tips on the installation of your conduits, and detail on what a "BNC
Connector" is, would be great. Could you ask your partner in crime to
elaborate for the uneducated about your aerial under the wing skin. I am
only up to the tail stage, but am keen to archive all pertinent tips for the
appropriate time. The wing kit I hope to order soon to have the glasswork
done by the end of  the Southern Hemisphere winter,so that all  I have to
worry about is temperature control and not also humidity.
Thanks in anticipation.

>Regards
Tony Renshaw ( Builder No. 236)
The Aussie Connection