Re: Under skin Aerials/conduits etc.

Subject: Re: Under skin Aerials/conduits etc.
From: Tony Krzyzewski tonyk@kaon.co.nz <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 1996 12:00:51

> A BNC connector is a "Bayonet Nut Coupler" which is a coaxial plug and socket,
available, as "in
> line" or "panel mounted" versions.    Its virtue is that it maintains a 50 ohm
impedence, same as
> your coaxial cable.   Not too easy to solder in place, but not impossible !

To terminate a BNC connector properly and maintain impedance you
should follow the instructions provided with the connector carefully
and if possible use an coaxial cable stripper.

Now it just so happens that 50 ohm BNC connectors and good quality
coax are used for Ethernet Thin Net (10Base2) cabling so what you do
is go and see your local friendly data networking company and either
trade a few beers for a loan of their coaxial stripper or part with
some money for them to terminate your cable correctly. In data
networks we no longer solder the centre pin but use a high pressure
crimp to give a really solid connection. If you feel nervous about
crimps then you can always run a soldering over the back of the pin
and dribble solder in. The abuse that these connectors get in an
office is far worse than you would get in an aircraft unless you
happed to arrive rather than land.

When buying your BNC connectors and cable ensure that you specify 50
ohm as the connectors and cable are also available in 75 ohm versions
for use with TV systems.

Tony
Sent from Tony Krzyzewski's roaming computer
somewhere on the planet earth.

Reply To  tonyk@kaon.co.nz
Visit     http://www.kaon.co.nz