Re: Fuel drains, fuselage structure

Subject: Re: Fuel drains, fuselage structure
From: Peter Davis <101621.3070@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 14:30:04
John Bampfylde writes:

>>The fuselage is made of a foam sandwiched by cloth and resin.  There are
gaps between the patches of foam, towards the tail these gaps get up to
15mm.  The gaps appear to be hollow.  Has anyone found it necessary to
either inject resin into these gaps, or to layup on the inside as a bridge
over these gaps?  Or is this a case of overkill, its plenty strong enough
just leave it alone etc?<<

Well! I did not notice this until your message, although I don't have anything
approaching 15mm. I understand that the larger gaps where the outer and inner
leaves of glass bond together are a requirement/help in preventing the foam and
glass from delaminating due to shear loads.

However, the small gaps you note towards the tail do not bond together and do,
indeed, have air between. Unless anyone comments to the contrary I have every
intention of filling these with Redux via a syringe. I would think that if not
delt with they could contribute to delamination, possibly showing itself by
wrinkled surfaces!

Very many thanks for pointing this out and I should think that everyone should
take this on board.

Regards,

Peter Davis

(that's Davis without an 'e')