Aileron Thrust Plates

Subject: Aileron Thrust Plates
From: tonyk@kaon.co.nz
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 21:50:22

Can those who have done it, please advise how they managed to align the
setup of the aileron thrust plates. Having looked at a Europa at this
stage is would seem that aligning the plates is a critical operation done
when the lower fuselage structure is still very flexible.

As I see it, in order to work efficiently, the centres of rotation on the
wing thrust plate and the fuselage thrust plate would have to be
accurately aligned. Any offset and there would either be slop in the
ailerons or stress on the fuselage thrust plate mounting which could
possibly lead to long term failure of the mounting.

Aligning the plates with the cockpit assembly out of the aircraft seems
to be pretty easy as there is plenty of space to work in. The only
problem would appear to be that once the cockpit assembly is bonded in
place how do you guarantee that the mounting plate is still in line as
the lower fuselage will inevitably be bent to the final body shape. To re
check the alignment of the thrust plates once the cockpit assembly is
installed would seem to be an impossible task unless you have very well
trained mice!

I must state that I don't have a manual for this part of the setup so my
comments are pure conjecture at this stage but I am damned if I can see a
way of ensuring that the the two centres of rotation are aligned!

Tony

Tony S Krzyzewski            Kaon Technologies Ltd
Reply to tonyk@kaon.co.nz    L7, 19 Victoria St West
Date: 26/03/96                 Auckland, New Zealand
Time: 09:50:22                 Ph +64 9 358 9124

The New Zealand Home of
ATM Ltd, NetManage Chameleon and Ecco, Spider/Shiva
Borderware, Banyan and SNMPc