Re: only two instruments required by law

Subject: Re: only two instruments required by law
From: Graham E Laucht <graham@ukavid.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 01:01:36
In message <memo.858668@cix.compulink.co.uk>, Graham Clarke
<gemin@cix.compulink.co.uk> writes

>But I am seriously interested in using only silicon driving glass, lcd or
>plasma displays. Must consult those references -are they on the internet?

Most FARs are definately on the box, point your browser or use Veronica.

Some JARS might be, probably in Germany, I doubt if the BCARs are but
the CAA library are ever helpful. Also copies will be at Cranfield and
Southampton Universities plus of course the PFA office.

Anyway from FAR1.1 Definitions & Abbreviations "Instrument" means a
device using an internal mechanism to show visually or aurally the
attitude, altitude or operation of an aircraft or aircraft part. It
includes electronic devices for automatically controlling an aircraft in
flight.

FAR 23.1303 The following are required flight and navigational
instruments:
a) An airspeed indicator
b) An altimeter
c) A magnetic direction indicator
(VFR basics) my insertion

FAR23.1305 The folowing are required powerplant instruments:
a) A fuel quantity indicator for each tank
b) An oil pressure indicator for each engine.....(+turbine stuff)
c) A tachometer for reciprocating engines....(+turbine stuff)

FAR23.1309 Lots and lots of riders about equipment, systems and
installations. Important reading, printed in boldface.

FAR23.1311 Lots of stuff with special relevance to "glass" instruments
FAR23.1321 Stuff about visibility and arrangements
FAR23.1323 Stuff specific to altimeters
FAR23.1325 Static systems
FAR23.1331 Instruments using a power supply
FAR23.1337 More specifics on engine instruments
FAR23.1351 Stuff on electrical systems
FAR23.1541 Marking and placard General
FAR23.1543 Instrument markings General
FAR23.1545 ASI
FAR23.1547 Magnetic Compass
FAR23.1549 Engine Instruments

The JARs are similarly organised and the essentials are equivalent, this
is NOT an exhaustive list, the cross references are legion.

I could also bore you with lotsw of research stuff on airborne
application of LCD displays, temperature ranges, legibility under sun
glare conditions, contrast ratios, pixel reolution etc. The bottom line
it it's not as easy as you may think.
NB The glass Europa multifunction display may be nearer than you think..
nuff said.

--
Graham E Laucht