Introduction and questions...

Subject: Introduction and questions...
From: Robert Acker <75104.3077@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 15:27:02
Hello Europa builders!

Quick intro as requested...my name is Robert Acker, and I live 120km south of
Los Angeles (barely far enough away from gangs, O.J, and the really bad
earthquakes <g>).  Truth be told, I am a "believer" in metal aircraft...but the
growing track record of composite longevity and the Europa's utility have me
interested.  After seeing it at Copperstate, and *not* hearing it fly (its so
quiet!) I was hooked.

I sat in G-ELSA, and unfortunately, it was a bit tight (me being 6'4" and 215
lbs).  We could not get left aileron as the stick would hit my knee...and the
left side of my head hit the canopy.  So, no flight demo :-(

I understand from the newsletters that a mod has been made allowing for 2" more
"bum" width...which would probably correct my head hitting the canopy.

Now for the questions, please keep in mind I am fairly conservative and not a
proponent of user-modifications...but if I can make a Europa fit safely I will
probably build one (I have my choices narrowed to three types now <g>).

1)  Any way to modify the seat to rudder pedal length, thereby lowering my knees
and allowing full control travel (also greatly aiding comfort)?  I'm wondering
if recesses can be made in the firewall, allowing the rudder pedals to be
mounted further forward (provided there is room behind the Rotax and/or engine
mount).  Alternatively, can the seat be moved further back (I seem to remember
thick bulkhead behind the seats which is probably immovable,  possibly due to
spar/tank interference)?

2)  Can anyone share their thoughts on the 4-cycle Rotax reliability?  Again,
being conservative I would normally only go with Continental or Lycoming...but
so far the Rotax's really seem to "have it down"...and the thought of using
unleaded mogas at 5gph is *very* appealing.

3)  Anything else you care to share, including corrections to my above
assumptions (i'm here to learn)...please do!

Thanks for your patience with my "newbie" questions.

Regards, Rob.