Re: Filling Wings etc

Subject: Re: Filling Wings etc
From: Carl Pattinson <101362.1117@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 1996 13:06:40
Hi Larry

Thanks for your swift reply. I guess if the pre made filler is good enough for
the Lakeland folks then hopefully it must be OK. The only problem seems that you
have no control over the consistency (you say the mix is a bit dry). Obviously
raising the temperature would help. We made our mixes a little on the wet side
which gives a good even coverage. Its ready to sand after about 24-36 hrs and
comes off easily. I dont really think weight is a problem as most of the filler
has to be removed anyway (unless your wings are full of dings and bumps).
I suspect the USA kit builders have been given a different resin system to work
with. In the UK we are supplied with SP systems Ampreg 20. This is a British
made product and I guess it dosent make a lot of sense to ship these to the
States when you already have a wealth of resin systems to choose from over there
or am I wrong.
The only downside with mixing your own filler seems to be a lot of pinholes
though I understand there is a way round this (some sort of additive). Does
using a premix eliminate this problem. Its too late for me but maybe there are
others who might benefit from knowing.
Finally, I noticed my first reply to your original posting was  logged at about
8.00 am and your reply to me was logged at about 8.20am on Sunday morning. I
actually posted my message at about 1.00pm UK time - this one is about to be
sent at 6.00pm.  Did you really reply to me at 8.20am your time or has
Compuserve/ the Internet got its own time zone. Does anyone out there know the
answer ?

Happy building
Carl