Subaru Engine Update G-NDOL

Subject: Subaru Engine Update G-NDOL
From: W.W-Wynne <bill@wynne.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 1995 20:45:53
On the 13th December G-NDOL made her first cross-country flight from Kemble
to the Europa factory at Kirkbymoorside, to give both Ivan and Pete Clarke
the opportunity to evaluate the first aircraft to be fitted with the more
powerful Subaru EA-81 engine.

Graham informs me that both Ivan and Pete were very impressed with the extra
performance and commented on how smooth and quiet she was.  So far she shows
no signs of having any unfavourable stability or handling characteristics.

The PFA  has given its approval to test the aircraft at an increased maximum
take-off weight of 1,375lbs, which will give a useful load of over 500lbs.

The aircraft cruises comfortably at 130kts and has a climb rate of over
1,000ft/min at MAUW.  Maximum straight and level is 145kts although the gear
ratio has not yet been optimised.  This is being dealt with at the moment.

Europa Aviation gave some very positive feedback and suggested modifying the
shape of the engine cowls in order to increase forward visibility while on
the ground: this is being incorporated into the production models.

A full spin programme was not possible due to adverse weather, but Pete
managed to do 2 & 3 turn spins with standard recovery.  However, he pointed
out that a full spin test schedule will still be required.  Based on results
so far he did not anticipate any problems.  G-NDOL will be returning to
Kirkbymoorside in January in order to complete the test programme.

Have a very Happy Christmas everyone - I have just had a brilliant flight up
the Welsh coastline in my wobbly - brass monkeys but what a view!

bbbbbbBill

 Bill Wynne   Europa 40  bill@wynne.co.uk  tel: +44 (0) 1654,710101/2/3
 Located  N52 36.72  W004 04.53.  Talybont, Tywyn. Gwynedd LL36 9LG