Re: Antennas

Subject: Re: Antennas
From: Richard Meredith-Hardy <rmh@flymicro.winuk.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1995 22:52:50

>Aircraft Spruce are selling a very strange Comm antenna for composite aircraft.
>It is made from thin Al sheet, roughly 30" by 12" looks like a very folded
>dipole capacitance coupled. VSWR varied from 1.2 :1 to 3 : 1 over the frequency
>span. Jon Tye will perhaps tell us if it works well. I suspect he will say
>knowt
>if it doesn't. It wasn't cheap.    Graham

I believe the Aircraft Spruce antennae for composites are Bob Archer
designs.  This is part of a reply he made to me a while back when we
were thinking about our VOR antenna in the wing:

> I am somewhat familiar with the Europa. I read the article in
> Kitplanes and immediately fired off a letter to the kit manufaturer
>and I received exactly the same response I have received from every
>kit manufacturer I have written to. Silence. I guess they have more
>important things to worry about than antennas.
>
>I am preparing to send you a package containing a brochure on my
> line of antennas for  composite aircraft along with the articles I
>wrote for the Lancair newsletter. I recommend  installing the COM
>antenna in the vertical stabilizer if it is not sealed yet else on
>the inside surface of the tailcone. Likewise if the wings are not
>sealed the outer wing panels are a good location for the VOR
>antennas else the fuselage top. The articles have a lot more detail
>on these subjects.
>
>All my antennas except the transponder antenna are fabricated from
>.016 2024 Alclad aluminum sheet and fed with a modified Gamma
>match. I recently had a chance to check out an antenna that has
>been installed in a T-18 for over twenty years and it looked like
>new. The transponder antenna is etched from copper clad epoxy
>circuit board material with the active elements on opposite sides
>and fed with a tapered balun. Because of their design with
>multiple parameters all my antenna designs are tuned to a level of
>performance beyond that normally available today. I have recently
>heard from some of my customers that have made direct comparisons
>of my antennas with my competitors. LOve those direct comparisons.
>
>If you are technical data orieted I could send you some copies of
>the VSWR data I have on my products.

Bob Archer could (probably still can) be contacted at
74301.1655@compuserve.com

Regards

Richard Meredith-Hardy         TEL + 44 (0)1462 834776
rmh@flymicro.win-uk.net        FAX + 44 (0)1462 732668
CIS: 100071,2422

Check out the British Microlight Aircraft Association at
http://www.avnet.co.uk/bmaa/bmaa.htm