Re: Europa

Subject: Re: Europa
From: Ian Seager <ians@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 23:04:17
>Yamaha are releasing an 850cc watercooled two stroke as a direct replacement
>for similar Rotax units (even down to the engine mountings). Not only does
>Yamaha have the extensive dealership network in place it is rumoured to be half
>the price of the Rotax. Worth watching I think...
>
>At the more exotic end there's the 70hp, air-cooled, V-twin, blown 2-stroke
>aerodiesel from  Zoche. The July issue of Flyer magazine waxed exceeding
>lyrical about this power unit. It is smaller, considerably lighter, simpler,
>easier to maintain and uses only about 60% of the fuel (which is half
>the cost of petrol). It is not in full scale production yet but is
>tipped to be a real winner.
>
>Another interesting concept is the Mid West Aeroengines (nee Norton) rotary
>engine. There was an issue of Flyer magazine in 1994 which had a look at it
>fixed to an RV Super 2 (which, as Aviation Scotland with the RV2 kit
>called the Highlander, has gone out of business).
>
>Alan Jackson

There is an aeroplane flying in the UK with the mid West engine in at the
moment (Test bed) There is also a rather interesting truck with one
strapped to the back...I believe that certification is due real soon
now...watch FLYER for further details in the next month or so...

Ian Seager FLYER Magazine, The Little Theatre St Michaels Place, Bath BA1 1SF
Tel: 01225 481440 Fax: 01225 481262