Re: Fuel Gauges

Subject: Re: Fuel Gauges
From: Richard Meredith-Hardy <rmh@flymicro.winuk.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 00:11:32
Dave Bosomworth no 67 wrote:

>        Richard; Fuel sender,where's the bend ? Should it be at the top, a
>     sort of flattened question-mark shape ??? - thanks in antip.

Some of the capacitance type of senders are bendable, (though I
believe not all)  Clearly, if your sender is straight and vertical
in the tank but your tank is narrower at the bottom than the top,
then "half fuel" on the gauge is going to mean rather less than half
fuel in the tank.

Bearing in mind the readout above is linear but the level in the
tank compared to volume is not, one way I can suggest you calibrate
your sender is as follows:  With the tank on a level surface, or
if you want to be more precise, flying attitude.  Fill it, marking
off at (say) 5 litre intervals. Next, divide your straight sender
equally with more marks into as many marks as you got on the side of
the tank. Finally, bend the sender so that each mark on it is in
the same horizontal plane as the respective mark on the tank. Now,
when your guage says half full, the tank is half full.

The precise length of the sender is not important, except it needs
to be maybe 1/3 to 1/2 longer than the vertical depth of the tank or
it will not reach the bottom.

Regards

Richard Meredith-Hardy         TEL + 44 (0)1462 834776
rmh@flymicro.win-uk.net        FAX + 44 (0)1462 732668
CIS: 100071,2422