Fuel Gauges

Subject: Fuel Gauges
From: Allan Hall <100255.2004@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 18:37:28
>>Cunning fix:  Bend the probe to get a linear reading.<<

 I had considered this, but even bendable Westach probe can only be bent on the
top 100mm of its length (it is intended for side mounting on tank). IMHO the
kind of bends that would be needed to attain linear reading would be quite
acute, and fuel slosh in tank could lead to stress failure of bent alloy probe.

Have you installed a bendable probe as described? If so what make? It is
certainly a more elegant solution than re-calibrating gauge.

I am also fitting an RS optical level sensor (GBP 12) to switch on panel warning
light when starbd side of tank is nearly empty, to remind me to switch to
reserve tank side soon. As it is independant from Westach system it prevents
reliance on fuel gauge alone.( No help if you loose all electrics though!)

Allan J Hall (#177)