Cockpit PC Glass Cockpit Display

Subject: Cockpit PC Glass Cockpit Display
From: Douglas Wagner <dwagner@phc.thegap.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 15:52:25
Hi:
Further to my recent posting on Silvaire Avionics *Cockpit PC*.
(Incidently, it that posting did not reach the list perhaps the list mom
could let me know. I have a feeling some of my postings are going astray.)
These are extracts from the information sent by Silvaire.

(from letter)
We are in the process of tooling up for a mass production system with a 6.4
inch diagonal screen size. The 6.4 screen is fully VGA compatible without
the large footprint of our 8.6 inch screen. Our mass production system,
termed the 64 series will continue to offer open systems compatibility. We
are looking at a 486DX4 100 mHz processor for our initial run. Our
estimated price range at this time is somewhere between $6,000 - $8,000.

The true power of the Cockpit PC lies in its versatiaily. Its possible uses
are simply a function of software and various hardware inputs. It offers a
platform that is useful with present technology such as GPS. Yet it
provides a path for future technology such as Mode S data link with the
proposed traffic and weather overlays for moving maps.

(from brocheur)
Silvaire Avionics' Cockpit PC renders single purpose avionics obsolete. The
multi purpose Cockpit PC is designed for moving map display, EICAS, EFIS,
Differential GPS, and with future expandability in mind. With hardware
options available from Silvaire, the Cockpit PC is the most versatile
avionics tool available.

The Cockpit PC can receive and process inputs from many existing aircraft
systems. Optional equipment from Silvaire measures RPM, airspeed, oil
pressure, gyroscope information, angle of attack and more. GPS options
available today include Differential GPS with accuracy to within 1 meter.
The digital audio option attaches directly to the intercom, making audible
checklists and selected verbal pilot commands to the computer possible.

GPS has revolutionized the avionics world, yet it is only the beginning.
When affortable high-speed Data-Link becomes available, avionics will be
carried to a higher level. The combination of the Cockpit PC with GPS and
Data-Link, will bring innovations that can hardly be imagined today. It
will be possible to display near real-time Doppler weather radar images on
your moving map, complete with high quality ground based lightning strike
displays. Text weather reports could be displayed and even computer
generated weather maps and satellite images. Unlinking of ATC radar...could
increase safety, giving every pilot the same traffic information as ATC.
The Cockpit PC is designed to interface with virtually any kind of
Data-Link as it is adopted.

Have a good day: Douglas Wagner

The Practical House Company Ltd
Apt 3, 412 Ormeau Road, BELFAST,
Northern Ireland, BT7 3HY
Phone 1: +44 1232 641 968

"Super-Insulated Houses = Low Energy Costs"