Fin close out and rudder fitting.

Subject: Fin close out and rudder fitting.
From: Rolph Muller <100031.533@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 12:14:58
Not an easy job - at least I didn't find it so. The problem was that I was
unable to fit the rudder satisfactorily before completing the fin close out. The
plywood panel is of course flat and the top fin section is shaped - and if the
panel is fitted slightly aft it fouls the nose of the rudder as it swings to
port, preventing the 30 degrees being achieved. Not too difficult to sort -
groove out the panel a little and reglass said Ivan which I did. It helped quite
a lot but not enough - and the reason was the triangular section of foam that is
used to stiffen the starboard edge where the hinges are affixed was too large -
a size is not given in the manual, but mine had about 2 cm sides and this was
too much. The nose of my rudder now has a slightly flattened look - but at least
I get the 30 degrees!