Re: Build times

Subject: Re: Build times
From: Steven A Eberhart <newtech@evansville.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 1995 08:30:15
On Sat, 12 Aug 1995, Graham Clarke wrote:
[snip]
> Can't see how vacuum bagging on a "non-developable" surface can avoid
> creases showing unless you have very flexible bag.
[snip]

I am not sure what you mean by "non-developable".  If there are no
complex curves i.e. wing and horizontal stabilizer with all straight
lines from root to tip then the bagging material has no need to crease.
We have been doing this on Radio Controll wings very successfully.  I am
setting us a experiment to work out the finer details of vacuum bagging
the Europa wings and horiz. stabilizers.  Will be cutting my own foam
cores to closely approximat the plan form, airfoil etc. of the Europa's
surfaces.  These will be throw away horizontal stabilizers, only to work
out the process and to verify the weight and strength.

In the August issue of USAviator there is an announcement of vacuum
bagged wing and tail pannels for the E-Racer.  Pannels are ready to bolt
on and have slickk finish.  Cost is listed as $5,300.  Should be able to
do the same thing for the Europa.

Steve