Subaru Engines

Subject: Subaru Engines
From: Douglas Wagner <dwagner@phc.thegap.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 1995 08:46:17
Hi: I faxed Reiner <Reinerh@aol.com> at Stratus Inc in Seattle for details
of their Subaru EA81 engines. This is his response.

-->
i sent you a brochure which explains how the engines are delivered. we will
not do an installation kit due to lack of demand for the europa.
its all a cost question, so far we have gotten 3 inquieries. that does not
justify the cost for tooling it also requires to have a plane on hand to test
it all.
i spoke to ivan but he is not interested, he seems to prefer the expensive
rotaxes.
here in the states the manufactures are more open because they are so fed up
with rotax and they realized that the  total cost for the builder is a major
issue.
hope this helps a bit
                                reiner
ps, maybe if you and others more and more request alternative powerplants,
ivan will get the message. inorder to sell airframes these days the total
price after its finished by the builder has to be right.
<--

Total cost of the finished aircraft is a matter I've been pondering for
some time. This doesn't seem to be a subject that discussed much in the
sources I've read so far. I guess partly because most of the readers have
already committed to the kit.

My estimate for the total cost for the Europa is =A345,000. That includes a
basic IFR panel and a single nav aid. At least one UK builder agrees with
this cost. An American I talked to said he expected to complete for
$45,000. That's quite a bit less. My estimate allows 1,200 hours to
construct. Add a reasonable amount for labor and the figure goes to
=A355,000+. Is the Europa worth this much?

And, how have others gotten this cost down?

Have a good day: Douglas Wagner

The Practical House Company Ltd
Apt 3, 412 Ormeau Road, BELFAST,
Northern Ireland, BT7 3HY