Re: Europa-List: Re: Varley Li-16 or Li-5

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Varley Li-16 or Li-5
From: Alan Burrill <alanb@dpy01.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 09:59:56

Sorry didnt get to reply as now in Oshkosh and was travelling.

Ive just fitted a Li-16 for weight saving, not flown yet as I then disappeared
of on holiday. Fitted the higher capacity one so if I have regulator fail I have
about 2 hours of battery life with all things running.

Dimensions slightly longer than the Varley so had to remake brackets but that
was
easy.

Starts engine, 912ULS, no problems and I had. Varley 25 previously. Initial
engine
runs suggest everything ok and charging.

Alan

Sent from my iPad

> On 20 Jul 2018, at 04:19, John Wighton <john@wighton.net> wrote:
>

> Well l wasn't exactly inundated with replies to this request.  Thanks to
> Richard
for the related PM.

> Feedback from Varley (DMS Technologies) is that the Li-16 will provide a
> better
solution as the Red Top 25 CA is 310A and CCA drops to 230A.  The Li-5 (along
with similar low AHr capacity batteries has a CCA of effectively zero.  Meaning
that ops in very cold conditions will be worse than l currently experience.

> As the Li-16 has an [effective] CA of 670A this should overcome my kickback
> issues
in colder months.  It saves around 3.8kg and will need a lengthened battery
box as it measures 203 x 78 x 139 (compared RT 25 at 181 x 77 x 167).