RE: Europa-List: Re: VENTILATION IN FLIGHT & POSITIVE CABIN PRESSURE

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: VENTILATION IN FLIGHT & POSITIVE CABIN PRESSURE
From: Brian Davies <brian.davies44@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 19:38:41
I had a CO problem about a year ago and carried out some investigation.
The big clue, found by using a CO meter, was that the CO doubled when
the flaps were down.  I talked to Andy Draper who said the exhaust gases
could enter via the flap slots and travel forwards through the tunnel
and into the cockpit via the various control slots.  I resisted cleaning
my aircraft for a period and traced exhaust stains along the fuselage
that travelled to the (Trigear) leg/fuse join and up to the flap slot.
There were no stains aft of the flap slots. I considered putting a
leather boot around the pitch tube to seal off the tunnel and also
designing various devices to close off or deflect air away from the flap
slots but eventually gave up and the CO has mysteriously dropped.

In Bill=99s case it could be that the modification he has that
extracts air from the cockpit via a tube running from the baggage bay
bulkhead to the rudder sternpost might be increasing the negative
pressure in the cockpit and sucking in more CO. This theory could be
tested by disconnecting the tube,  blocking up the hole in the rear
bulkhead and allowing the extraction tube to collect air from around the
flap slots and dump it overboard via the rudder sternpost hole.

Worth a try Bill?

Regards

Brian