Europa-List: Re: Electrical bonding

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Electrical bonding
From: John Wighton <john@wighton.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 00:42:57

Ira,

You echo may own opinion on this subject.  Fortunately my Europa does not seem
to generate a lot of static (of a kind that can be detected at least).  There
is not a lot that could be done if it did collect static whilst airbourne.

I had concerns about static build up and discharge on the ground, particularly
whilst fuelling.  I adopt the standard procedure of grounding everything to the
same potential by touch, relying on terra firma to act as a ground.  So far
there has never been the hint of a discharge even after a vigorous polishing
session.

Being involved in aircraft certification myself l am aware of the often heavy
and
costly solutions on larger aircraft.  I am a structures signatory on the A350,
this has a high level of composites content and poses new issues and solutions
on many fronts, including bonding and lightning protection.

--------
John Wighton
Europa XS trigear G-IPOD

Read this topic online here: