Re: Europa-List: Re: Electrical bonding

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Electrical bonding
From: Pete Lawless <pete@lawless.info>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 17:42:24

Hi Guys

I sobering pic of lightning damage to a fully bonded all metal aeroplane
- I suspect in a Europa it would ruin your whole day!

Plus an interesting Boeing article.
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/articles/2012_q4/4/

Regards

Pete
G-RMAC #109

On 12/11/14 17:24, davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk wrote:

> Peter, Thanks - absolutely no apologies needed - it is very
> pertinent! I had pored over this in great detail when preparing my Oz
> trip! Both in this and in the other GRP glider strike quoted the
> lightning ran from wing tip to wing tip, with arcing causing enough
> heating/shock wave to break open or delaminate the wing. It was very
> much because of this report that I hoped to provide a more attractive
> (both to me and the lightning) path running essentially outside the
> wing. Regards, David
>
> On 2014-11-12 16:07, PETER MORGANS wrote:
>
>> Hi David,
>> Apologies for diving in on this topic.
>> You may be interested to read AAIB Bulletin 12/99 (attached pdf)
>> regarding the disintegration of Schleicher ASK21 over Dunstable. Back
>> in my gliding days in the late 1960's it was mandatory for all
>> gliders which held a B.G.A cloud flying category to have electrical
>> bonding. I think the answer is to stay away from large Cu unless you
>> have a parachute.
>> The following link, ref. this accident, also shows photographs of
>> damage:- www.pas.rochester.edu/~cline/.../ASK%20accident%20report.htm
>> It's sobering to look at the damage to fittings.
>> Regards
>> Peter Morgans     G-CFKZ    Trigear XS

I would also have to say, I can not see any benefit to bonding wingtip to