Re: Europa-List: Re: Electrical bonding

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Electrical bonding
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 23:07:50

When I was contemplating flying to Oz I did my best to research
lightning strikes on composite aircraft, finding accounts of several
aircraft being struck with damage varying from just a few instruments
fried to wings exploded and control systems welded. Getting authoritive
advice on preventive measures proved difficult or impossible, but I came
to the following conclusions:

1. Best to steer well clear of Cu-nims

2. If you can't (& travelling through S. E. Asia it is near impossible)
then putting in a system to conduct strikes from wingtip to wing tip &
nose to tail without too much damage is worthwhile. I had planned to put
expanded aluminium mesh in the aileron & flap close outs, connecting to
the rear lift pins, and a separate system from engine frame to tail
wheel spring. I hoped/believed that this would allow small to moderate
strikes to do nothing more than cause temporary deafness, although
getting wings off later might have been a challenge!

Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ

On 2014-11-11 19:11, graeme bird wrote:

> Bonding indeed, pointless I would think, nice lightening collectors in the
> wings
and fuselage to convey to the control stick , but then unless you have one
hand on the ground you are probably OK. :-)

> --------
> Graeme Bird
> G-UMPY
> Mono Classic/XS 912S/Woodcomp 3000/3W