Re: Europa-List: Landing mishap - asking for advise

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Landing mishap - asking for advise
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 08:23:07
Marcel,
You are on the right track.
I'm putting together a bit of info at the shop here in Florida and will
email direct to you a FACTORY suggested inspection sequence for the
structures, what you should look for in additional damage inspections,
and once you have the inspections complete will assist in a repair
method to include layup schedules and materials to make it good as new.
Removal of the engine, I am afraid, is mandatory to do a proper
inspection.
I'll send a questionnaire and request photos of you soon.

I have been through this on 3 different damaged aircraft repairs and we
have a bit more experience on repairing this type of damage and finding
some hidden damage.  So learn from our mistakes. (Insurance companies
require huge amounts of documentation if more is found after the final
payout is made.)

Just a heads up, normally the gear frame gets bent and we have to look
at the mounting of the frame to the fuselage also.  Support of the
trigear for these inspections is a piece of cake and it only takes a day
to get it prepped for a thorough inspection but it does take a bit of
gear that the club and others can help with I'm sure for engine removal.

Look at it this way, you get to correct anything you didn't like and
really do a complete inspection and cleaning of the aircraft.

As for engine and prop damage:
Rotax manuals tend to be a bit vague.
Gear box check and prop flange check is mandatory and a proper dealer
will have the measurement tools and fixtures.
The slipper clutch is normally replaced, the prop shaft checked for true
and the prop flange of course.  I normally have the bearings in the
gearbox replaced  if the prop really hit hard and tore up the blades.

Runout on the crank is another check we have done by our Rotax Dealer as
Kerry has all the gear at hand and it is only a few more minutes to do.
My dealer is only a couple hours away which is nice, so we can do a face
to face with them on our repairs, but that is rare.  We have never had
to replace the bearings in the engine or spun a crankshaft with a
slipper clutch installed.  On a 912 we don't have to worry as much about
turbo support problems etc. of the 914 that creep up as the small dent
in the exhaust may lead to other problems with stressed turbo supports
etc.
Glycol coolers and oil coolers can be checked by you without difficulty.

I have found that government agencies only add cost and frustration to
changes to aircraft such as the propeller changes you are considering,
however you have great folks in the club to help with what has been
approved in other countries and will transfer to your particular
government requirements.  The paperwork is the paperwork.

Regards,
Bud Yerly
Europa Tech Support
email direct at budyerly@msn.com<mailto:budyerly@msn.com>