Europa-List: Landing mishap - asking for advise

Subject: Europa-List: Landing mishap - asking for advise
From: zwakie <mz@cariama.nl>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 10:01:54

Last Monday I had a landing mishap on Texel (EHTX), resulting in a nose wheel
collapse
after a bounced landing..

Before asking my questions, I would like to express my BIG THANKS to Frans and
Illona who drove their trailer up to Texel  and drove PH-MZW back by road and
ferry boat to my home base. Frans and Illona, words will always fall short when
describing our gratitude! Also may thanks to Tim who phoned me up offering any
help I would need!

First examinations showed that propeller and nose gear leg are beyond repair.
Lower
cowling got some minor cracks. After I removed the cowling and the covering
plate of the cockpit tunnel, I found another piece of damage: evidently the
nose leg had rotated appr. 45 degrees in the nose gear leg tube, which resulted
in the bump stop having pierced more or less sideways through the tunnel appr.
1" into the passenger foot well (see attached image).

My questions to the forum:

(1) How much structural strength does the pierced part of the tunnel take, and
what procedure do you recommend for the repair?

(2) I am planning to have a complete new nose gear leg assembly installed.
Unknown
at this moment is how to check the integrity of the landing gear frame. All
suggestions are welcome!

(3) Of course I will have a professional Rotax maintenance company perform shock
load checks on the gearbox and the 912UL (80HP) engine.
I think I have once read somewhere on the forum that no matter the outcome of
the
shock load checks, the crank bearings must be replaced. I could however not
find any reference to this in the Rotax manuals. What is your idea on this?

(4) What other engine checks should be performed? Anything else you would
recommend
doing/checking?

(5) For a new propeller I am investigating a change from Arplast PV50 to
Woodcomp
SR3000/2W or SR3000/3.
- Will any of these Woodcomps bring significantly improved performance compared
to the Arplast?
- Will it make any sense to opt for a high-twist Woodcomp and will these
high-twist
versions be a good fit for the small 80HP 912UL?

Please be aware that changing propeller-type will force me having to go through
a lengthy and costly procedure to obtain a new noise certificate from the Dutch
CAA. Therefore I already decided to stick with Arplast PV50 unless a significant
performance increase can be achieved. My question is a mere attempt to get
a feel for what to expect...

(6) Anything I missed above that needs looking at?

Thanks very much for your advise!

--------
Marcel
(Europa Classic Tri-Gear PH-MZW)