Re: Europa-List: Winching attachment points to Tri Gear for Trailering

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Winching attachment points to Tri Gear for Trailering
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 23:14:54
Alan,
I have been towing Europa trigears for about 10 years now.
We have recovered aircraft out of fields, garages and airports.
Some damaged and and in pieces.

My trailer is a 22 foot car hauler with wing racks installed.
I have a winch and adjustable wing racks for glider and short wings.
I normally winch my aircraft by using my towbar.  It pulls and steers,
so pretty neat.
For those customers that do not have a tow bar, I have a strap around
the nose gear fork spindle.  The strap goes to the winch cable and up
she goes.

I prefer to pull the aircraft facing forward on my dual axel trailer.
No gust locks or anything else to keep ailerons or rudder from flapping.
 After pulling thousands of miles at 70 mph.  I have no concerns.  Total
cost including welding $2000.

Please note that I have the following:
A dual axel trailer (standard 60/40 balance point).
The main gear set on the forward axel.
Wings are centered about on the trailer.
The trailer has a built in droop on the end so no tail strike like a
straight trailer.
Ramps are about 3 foot long on the trailer and slide out from the rear.
I secure my aircraft with a cable strap around the main gear brake disk
to wheel gap.  Rings are bolted through the floor to create the cable
loop geometry.  These cables have loops are tightened by a ratchet
strap.
The winch pulls the aircraft forward, one ratchet strap pulls the nose
gear fork spindle aft.  Each main is held down with the cables.
Wings clamp similar to the mono trailer and sit in a padded saddle
rather than a sling...
I have a truck to pull the trailer which is nearly 1800 pounds loaded.
The trailer is very easy to reconvert back to a usable car hauler if
need be.

My plane does have my custom wheel pants that are hinged so it only
takes three screws to undo the pant, flip it up out of the way and strap
down the wheel.
I still remove my tow bar for towing once the plane is in place and I
remove my nose gear cap and put the strap on the nose gear for long
trips.

As for super light weight, Frans' solution is right.
Takes a bit of time to get it right, but he should note that the trailer
can be shorter.
I think that for short hauls, tail first is fine.  Just make a gust lock
for the tail.

There is a small picture of what my rig looks like on my website at
www.customflightcreations.com<http://www.customflightcreations.com/>
accessories..
We have also done enclosed trailers if you so desire, but they are more
expensive.  We have made one that is air conditioned/heated and
carpeted.  Pull the plane out and fold down a cot and nap.  Think of it
as a mobile hangar.

Have fun figuring your trailer ideas, I did.

Bud Yerly
Custom Flight Creations, Inc.
www.customflightcreations.com<http://www.customflightcreations.com/>
(813) 653-4989