Re: Europa-List: Winching attachment points to Tri Gear for Trailering

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Winching attachment points to Tri Gear for Trailering
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 11:38:34

On 08/08/2012 05:14 AM, Bud Yerly wrote:

> I prefer to pull the aircraft facing forward on my dual axel trailer.

In the Netherlands, and I think in most of Europe, you need a special
driving licence for such a trailer. And there are restrictions on the
type of car used to tow it. Furthermore, such a trailer needs to be
registered and you can not build it yourself.

I have the required license and the required type of car, but I had to
give up on getting the custom trailer licensed. It is far easier here to
get a registration for a homebuilt airplane than for a custom built
trailer. So, I'm forced to keep the trailer unlicensed, and that means
that it is limited to a total weight of 750 Kg's (including the load)
and "single axle" (which may also be dual axle provided the axles are
adjacent to each other).

In such a situation, (especially with "one" axle) it is best to load the
airplane backwards so the trailer's axle can be close to the rear. You
are right about the rudder lock, that is really necessary, but for the
rest I don't see any disadvantages.

There is another advantage: if I unload the airplane on our local grass
strip I can just hop in and taxi away, no need to replace the trailer or
to turn the aircraft around in the grass. This is really convenient.

> My plane does have my custom wheel pants that are hinged so it only
> takes three screws to undo the pant, flip it up out of the way and strap
> down the wheel.

Any pictures about these wheel pants?

Frans