Europa-List: Re: cameras and mounting

Subject: Europa-List: Re: cameras and mounting
From: John Wighton <john@wighton.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 05:47:31

I have a GoPro mounted inside the cockpit attached to the roof centre bar just
behind my head.  A std sticky GoPro supplied pad adhered 100% to the surface.
I use the invert function in the camera as it is mounted upside down.

I have a second mount external in a similar position but as far fwd on the T bar
(fits between the doors when they are both up).  The sticky pad mount is almost
impossible to remove, so beware.

Interestingly the speed seem to reduce 7kts when the camera is on the outside.

I try to film every flight and correlate the GPS tracks and film in a library.
Its good to analyse your own performance, check speeds and record all the
instruments.
I discovered that l check the brakes (trigear finger brakes)  3 times
during a t/o roll!  I also found out l rock the wings a lot!

There is no shake, rattle or shimmy with the GoPro - set to 720i resolution.
The
prop does not intrude in the picture.

I will also try the suction mount on the wingtip soon, possibly with some wool
tufts to show breakaway during stalls.

Regards
John

--------