Re: Europa-List: painting a plated engine mount frame

Subject: Re: Europa-List: painting a plated engine mount frame
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 19:08:14
Just an opinion,
The aircraft with the anodized frames are holding up very well without
paint.  Nose gears and mounting frames are doing well also.
I personally would not paint the frame.  Use ACP 50 or similar
anticorrosion coatings on your annual inspections and it is fine.
Inspections are a breeze as you don't have to inspect every crack in the
paint for problems.

Please note the the pros of painting are it is easy to clean and
brightens up that dark hole.  Follow the paint manufacturers prep
instructions.  Powder coating is good on steel, but powder coating of
aluminum should be monitored as the temper of components made from
aluminum could be compromised if excessive heat is used in the process.

Whether you paint or not, do not use metal clamps or zip ties directly
on the frames as that will cause wear of the protective coatings and
start corrosion.
Please use WDG (aka Adel )clamps or other rubber coated tight fitting
clamps to prevent paint/anodizing wear and eventual corrosion.  If you
must use a wire tie strap or zip tie, please use rubber tubing or
similar as a cushion mount.  Just slit and place your short piece of
hose over the frame tubing and then attach the zip tie around the hose
as the mount.  Then use another zip tie to hold the component or wire
snugly to the mount...  Do not allow components to rub up against the
engine frame or gear frame as unchecked, corrosion can cause eventual
corrosion or structural problems and costly repairs.

I even use stainless steel straps Reduxed on the gear frame for mounting
the nose gear springs to prevent eventual wear.  I am told they have
homes for people like me.  But it works.

Regards,
Bud Yerly
Europa Technical Assistance.
Custom Flight Creations, Inc.