Re: Europa-List: Altimeter/transponder question

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Altimeter/transponder question
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 17:38:13
Altimeter/transponder questionFerg,
I just happen to be doing a similar exchange tomorrow and was doing
research on my wire bundles.
The AK used analog inputs only and the Dynon will do a serial digital
directly to the Garmin 327 which will do both.  Follow your D100
instruction manual and eliminate the wire.
If you hate or cannot make new plugs easily there is a provision to add
a Dynon Avionics Encoder Serial to Parallel Converter which is a
converter box sold for a price.  It takes only two wires from the Dynon
and will allow with some checking, the use of the multiwire strand you
have to use now.  Basically, it takes two wires and makes a bundle that
plugs in to the transponder cable you had going from the Garmin to the
AK 350.  See the chart below.  Piece of cake either way.  I prefer to
wire to the digital inputs as shown in the second box.  Just set the
D100 program up to talk to the Garmin and it will work.  In the
programming part of the manual it has specifics for your transponder and
the D100.

Just follow the instructions, it is piece of cake if you know how to
make D sub connectors.  Please download the D100 installation manual
---From the Dynon website.  It takes a bit of study, but it frees up a 10
wire bundle.  I am doing the same with a conversion from the AK to a GRT
Horizon HX which wires similarly.  I have done the same with the D-10.
Alas most of my customers prefer the Horizon series from Grand Rapids as
it has a more features.  But they all give you digital abilities and
fewer wires which is a plus, but more programming time.

Best Regards,

Bud
Custom Flight Creations