Europa-List: 914 Turbo Oil Leak Woes part deux

Subject: Europa-List: 914 Turbo Oil Leak Woes part deux
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 14:11:35
914 Owners,

While beating my head against the wall on my leaky turbo I reviewed all
that I did.

One...My engine was a used 914 and the turbo was drippy.

Two...I gave the turbo to a friend who works for a reputable turbo
rebuild facility but not the Garrett factory.

Three...A new standard Garrett rebuild kit was installed and the turbo
refurbished and returned.

Result:
Initial start up and boost are normal, but I have this pesky leak after
about two or three days.

The ball check valve is not leaking when removed and tested.

The turbo seal is leaking.  Why?

The Rotax turbo is a few thousands different in diameter than a standard
Garrett as it is a Rotax Proprietary Part requiring a turbo replacement
and not just  a rebuild kit.  If I continue to run with what I have, I'm
sure it will eventually fail.

Solution:
Well it is off to Garrett or Jason Parker of Extreme Aircraft Engines to
get the seals redone properly, but at a higher price now.  Jason has a
line on the Exact Rotax turbo core replacement at about $750.  Jason is
at
http://www.extremeaircraftengines.com<http://www.extremeaircraftengines.c
om/>

Bottom Line:
Don't just send your turbo to anybody.

Bud Yerly

On a side note,
Jason Parker has sold 8 engines just in the last half of this year and
is under contract by Sea Ray for a full firewall forward.  For the
Europa he has a full kit which only nicks the passenger foot well but
otherwise fits very well.  Wire and fuel now are pre set up and the
engine is as plug and play as you can get.  Prices with intercooler are
just below 914 prices and are zero time.  I don't make a cent off of
them so this is an unsolicited endorsement.