Re: Europa-List: Mod 73

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mod 73
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 11:34:12
Karl,
The problem is friction of the tight fit of the TPs.  The longer the
bearing, the more force to get it on and off.
Making a tube of glass (using the method of wax paper or similar to keep
the glass from direct contact) where both edges of the TPs have a lip
which not only holds the bearing in shear, but in compression (via the
lip) also.  This would be slightly less force required on installation
and removal, and as the tube passes into the stab, prevent a hard metal
to metal impact on the outer bearing possibly creating a shock
failure...

Of course I cringe in how some folks take their tail planes off and on.
No bearing would stay put the way some are handled.  It is all in
balance and alignment as well as the oh so important patience.

As you have found, properly built and maintained tailplanes can last
forever.  Congrats on a well built stab.
You obviously did a fine job.

Bud