Re: Europa-List: Re: Use of Ferrite Cores & RFI

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Use of Ferrite Cores & RFI
From: ALAN YERLY <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 08:51:56
You are right Ira,
The usual culprits though are the amateur wiring mistakes we all make.
Ferrite cores are a band-aid.  Remember the problems with the Gen 1 Blue
Mountain, and the horrible comments from the field.  When I rewired the
panel and properly shielded the BM inputs and outputs, and made sure the
bundles were clear of the back of the Becker radios, all problems
ceased.  Too bad the problems inside the box didn't.

Steve,
Noise is best chased through a slow and meticulous chasing of each
component in the panel.
That is why I have a bench, complete with com and engine sensor testing
leads to insure all my mistakes are made on the bench, not once the
panel is in the plane.  (Another reason I make the panels with cannon
plugs is to make install and uninstall quick and easy for just this
reason.  It is an airplane, if you don't put it together and take it
apart at least 5 times you're doing it wrong.)  That aside, other forms
of noise you don't anticipate can creep up.

Along with what Ira wrote, do watch that the power bundle from the
alternator (if equipped) or Dynamo wiring is not parallel with the
Airmaster Wires.  They become antennas that way without proper
shielding.  Check alternator on off and every component in the panel.

There is no replacement for good sound troubleshooting and careful
craftsmanship.

Happy Building
Bud Yerly