Re: Europa-List: Fuel pumps

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel pumps
From: ALAN YERLY <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:58:26
Ferg,

The Rotax Installation Manual has the values and charts.  It is para
19.5 in my Rotax installation manual.  The new Europa manual has the
diagram in chapter 25.

Typically the max the 914 will draw is 3 amps per pump at max pressure
and 2 min under light pressure load.  The rest of the system draws about
1.3 for the servo and computer and .5 for the warning lamps.

As for wire size, #18 is the min size I'd do.  The Europa manual shows
the pumps using a #20, and that will do amperage wise, but you will
notice the wire temperature rise a few degrees, although the voltage
drop is minor.  #18 will supply 6 amps (double what you need) with only
10 degrees C rise in temp and .06 ohms per foot.  That is enough safety
factor and a lower voltage drop for consistent operations at 3 amps.
Besides, my Amp ring connectors fit better.  Pumps should be planned to
run constantly, and with a minimum drop of voltage at max load, and #18
can do it.

Remember the ground needs to be the same size, and I suggest separate
grounds per pump to ensure redundancy.
Rotax wants you to run the aux pump off the alternator direct for
redundancy but I have yet to do it.  My wife liked the idea of running
mine off a separate battery (charged through a shotkey diode) to back up
full electrical failure.  (Yea, she really hates the idea of the whirly
thing stopping up front.)

Happy new year.
Bud Yerly
Custom Flight Creations