NACA vent placement (was RE: Europa-List: Gel Coat)

Subject: NACA vent placement (was RE: Europa-List: Gel Coat)
From: David DeFord <davedeford@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 16:24:38

> Now for a question of my own.  I'm considering where I should put the
> NACA vent that will feed the eyeball vents that I'm installing in the
> overhead panel.  I have a fairly large vent with a 2" opening for the
> feed tubing.  Would the intake be effective if installed somewhere in
> the vicinity of the battery, starboard side, behind the luggage tray,
> just above flap level, or maybe even below flap level?  Would it be
> possible to locate it underneath the fuselage?
>
> Jeff - A055

Jeff,

I would avoid any location below the wings.  We had a persistent problem
with carbon monoxide in N135TD, and one of the sources turned out to be
exhaust gas that entered the rear fuselage through the flap drive slots.
Even though the air leaking from the tail cone into the cockpit was diluted
by a much larger intake from our fresh air vents, we still saw about 30
parts per million of CO from this source.  I suspect that the level would be
much higher, if your primary ventilation source were picking up air that
contained exhaust emissions.  It might be okay if you kept the inlet on the
opposite side from the exhaust, but I would make careful measurements in any
case.  Air pressure is likely to be lower on the aft fuselage surfaces, so a
more forward location may give better air flow as well.

Dave DeFord
N135TD (flying, 320 hours)