Re: NACA vent placement (was RE: Europa-List: Gel Coat)

Subject: Re: NACA vent placement (was RE: Europa-List: Gel Coat)
From: Rocketman <topglock@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 20:24:06

David DeFord wrote:

>>Now for a question of my own.  I'm considering where I should put the
>>NACA vent that will feed the eyeball vents that I'm installing in the
>>overhead panel.  I have a fairly large vent with a 2" opening for the
>>feed tubing.  Would the intake be effective if installed somewhere in
>>the vicinity of the battery, starboard side, behind the luggage tray,
>>just above flap level, or maybe even below flap level?  Would it be
>>possible to locate it underneath the fuselage?
>>
>>Jeff - A055
>>

>Jeff,
>
>I would avoid any location below the wings.  We had a persistent problem
>with carbon monoxide in N135TD, and one of the sources turned out to be
>exhaust gas that entered the rear fuselage through the flap drive slots.
>Even though the air leaking from the tail cone into the cockpit was diluted
>by a much larger intake from our fresh air vents, we still saw about 30
>parts per million of CO from this source.  I suspect that the level would be
>much higher, if your primary ventilation source were picking up air that
>contained exhaust emissions.  It might be okay if you kept the inlet on the
>opposite side from the exhaust, but I would make careful measurements in any
>case.  Air pressure is likely to be lower on the aft fuselage surfaces, so a
>more forward location may give better air flow as well.
>
>Dave DeFord
>N135TD (flying, 320 hours)

Dave,

Thanks for the information.  I considered the exhaust gas problem, but
assumed that it would not be a problem on the lower starboard side of
the fuselage, due to the prop wash lifting it upward.  I also assumed
that the lower fuselage, being fairly flat would give a good airflow
through the vent.  Anyone have any experience with vent inlets in these
positions?  Would it be possible for someone, with a running Europa, to
make a few CO2 measurements in the areas I'm talking about?  Any
assistance would be greatly appreciated...

Jeff - A055
Builders Log: http://www.N55XS.com