Europa-List: electrics

Subject: Europa-List: electrics
From: Paul Stewart <europa@pstewart.f2s.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 13:23:16

Having now read 'lecrtic Bob's book twice I fear there is no excuse to
put off delving into electrics any longer. However I have a few
questions I have not as yet found answers to so if anyone can shed light
onto one or more of them I would be very grateful.

1.  If (as I intend to) I use  OV protection  via a relay and 5A c/b,
can I do away with an alternator/generator output switch and pull the
c/b when I want to deliberately take the alternator off line (don't know
when that would be)?

2.  Where exactly have folk attached engine block grounding straps?
There are many tapped holes in the engine block without apparent use -
can I use any suitably placed one?

3.  What do folk use and where does one get the 30A slow blow fuse
required for battery feed and alternator/generator feed to the main bus?

4.  On 'lectric Bob's web site he sells AMP PIDG crimp connectors. Does
any one know if what he refers to as #6 ring terminal is M6 ? ( the
combination of metric everything on the engine and imperial everywhere
else is becoming a bit of a pain)

5.  I don't quite follow why, if there is a requirement for the trim
motor to be wired directly off the battery rather than the bus bar, the
same is not true of at least one of the 914 fuel pumps - surely these
are as much if not more flight critical than the trim motor?

6. I intend to wire using fuses rather than c/b ( OV protection
excepted) - is there anything other than this which 'must' be protected
by c/b rather than fuse?

7.  What EGT probes have folk used for thier Rotax installations?

8. Am I correct in thinking GPS antennas con 'see' through fibreglass?
(I know this has been discussed before)

Thanks in anticipation and a Happy New Year to all..Regards

Paul Stewart   #432