Re: Engine options

Subject: Re: Engine options
From: clevelee@cswebmail.com
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 13:36:35
Hi Kevin,
I'm going through the same soul searching for my Mono XS.  Have you visited Bart
& Henks engine web page yet?  Good links there.  The Jabiru 3300 looks real
nice, but it doesn't have the hours on it that the smaller engine has. I'm
looking
closely at the Stratus EA81 Subaru conversion.  This appears to be a well
designed unit that has a decent safety record (unlike the NSI). Drawback is 200
lbs installed (about 40 more than the 912S). On the upside, it has about 15%
more torque, runs more smoothly, (mostly)off the shelf parts and costs 15% less.
Other interesting option that I don't hear much about is the Able/Altimizer
2.44 Litre VW conversion with 120 HP @ 3000 rpm, 160 lbs direct drive.  This is
a big bore 'slow turning' engine compared to the Jabiru.  Again, more torque,
comparable with the Subaru.  Price is about the same as the Stratus, major
drawback I think is the width of the engine.  Don't know how our Europas would
look with cowl cheeks. Ables web site is http://www.altimizer.com/specs.html

Cleve
XS Mono A198 Detroit MI
On Thu, 17 May 2001, "Kevin Flynn" wrote:

> Thanks for everyones responce to my last questions. I have a few more about
> engine choices.What are the differences in the possible engine choices in
> cost performance and ease of instalation. I assume you will still purchase
> the cowling from Europa?. Thanks Kevin

The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!
 250 FREE hours! Sign-on Now!