Re: Engine options

Subject: Re: Engine options
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 02:39:23
Message text written by INTERNET:clevelee@cswebmail.com
>'m going through the same soul searching for my Mono XS.  Have you visited
Bart & Henks engine web page yet?  Good links there.  The Jabiru 3300 looks
real nice, but it doesn't have the hours on it that the smaller engine has.
I'm looking closely at the Stratus EA81 Subaru conversion.  This appears to
be a well designed unit that has a decent safety record (unlike the NSI).
Drawback is 200 lbs installed (about 40 more than the 912S). On the upside,
it has about 15% more torque, runs more smoothly, (mostly)off the shelf
parts and costs 15% less.
Other interesting option that I don't hear much about is the Able/Altimizer
2.44 Litre VW conversion with 120 HP @ 3000 rpm, 160 lbs direct drive.
This is a big bore 'slow turning' engine compared to the Jabiru.  Again,
more torque, comparable with the Subaru.  Price is about the same as the
Stratus, major drawback I think is the width of the engine.  Don't know how
our Europas would look with cowl cheeks. Ables web site is
http://www.altimizer.com/specs.html
<

Be aware that the Subaru engine is significantly heavier than the Rotax or
Jabiru. Here in the UK most builders have moved away from the Subaru
realising that the extra weight is a significant penalty in an a/c that was
designed around the Rotax 912. Now that the 912S is available with 100hp
there is less reason to consider heavier engines.

Whilst the diesel is the way to go in the future for light aircraft (due to
fuel availability, price and fire safety) it is still like the Subaru on
the heavy side for the Europa.

Having spoken to a Jabiru a/c owner recently owners of these engines might
like to know that the starter motors in these new engines are reconditioned
Nissan units. He found out when his starter failed after 50hrs engine time.
When he took it apart it was obvious that this starter had not been
reconditioned.

If you consider any engine which is new to the Europa it might be worth
considering Ivan Shaw's comment that it often takes more time and effort in
development work matching a new engine to an a/c than it does building the
airframe in the first place.

Nigel Charles