RE: Re: 22,000uF capacitor

Subject: RE: Re: 22,000uF capacitor
From: Gregory Michael <M.J.Gregory@cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 19:14:08
Electrolytic capacitors are the exception to the rule that says you can't go
wrong by using a higher rating than specified for the circuit. By all means
use a larger capacitor than 22,000 uF (the Rotax 912 installation manual for
1989 shows 47,000 uF), but keep the voltage rating at 25.

Unlike other types of capacitor, electrolytics need to have a working
voltage applied to keep them in good condition. If they are unused for long
periods time (many years) it is possible for them to blow up if they are not
"re-formed" before having the circuit voltage fully applied. It has been
known for higher-voltage-rated electrolytics to fail when operated in
lower-voltage circuits.

Take Bob's advice and use a computer-grade electrolytic suitable for a
rugged environment, with screw terminals, a high ripple-current rating (e.g.
10 amps) and a low high-frequency impedance. Avoid having long connecting
leads to the voltage regulator, as they could radiate interference and their
inductance would raise the high-frequency impedance. It should not be
necessary to shunt the electrolytic capacitor with a small high-frequency
non-electrolytic capacitor.

Hope this helps

Mike