Re: Re: 22,000uF capacitor

Subject: Re: Re: 22,000uF capacitor
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 20:20:26
Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:

>   A number of my customers have blown some rather
>   small capacitors (1.2" x 1.5") rated at 22,000 uFd
>   and 25v with small solder terminals intended for
>   mounting to an etched circuit board. These capacitors
>   are NOT suited to this task at ANY voltage rating.
>    . . . the capacitors I recommend are the so called
>   "computer grade" electrolytics with fat, 10-32 threaded
>   screw terminals. I believe the smallest one I could
>   offer was on the order of 1.3" x 2.5" and have a
>   ripple current rating of well over 10 amps.

Makes sense.  Need quality here, on the premise
that a big, electrolytic cap explosion uner the
cowl is highly undesirable.  I can't match Bob's
expertise here, but I would suggest (to play
safe), don't cheat on the 25v rating (higher is
harmless, just heavier and costlier), but higher
capacitance may not be (increases initial inrush
current - can the solid-state Rotax regulator take
it?).  I bought mine (new, screw-terminal,
computer grade) from a computer surplus store for
$4 USD (same place as my $7.50 pressure sensor pot
for the AOA indicator).  But Mouser
(www.mouser.com) has reasonable prices, and
probably Digi-Key too (www.digi-key.com).

Regards,