Re: Tail plane Closeouts Tips??

Subject: Re: Tail plane Closeouts Tips??
From: Erich D Trombley <erichdtrombley@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 00:44:43
>Just a quick note to someone who might have had a bit of trouble with
>this
>closeout, especially at the leading edge of the root. Is there a trick
>getting the BID into this area where everything seems to meet? It has
>been
>suggested to bunch up the cloth and feed it in then work the sides
>forward
>toward the tip, eventually it should all flatten up the flange without
>complication.I am  wondering if this nose/root closeout problem others
>have
>coped with first, as they apply the next ply, or last? I suppose if
>you do
>the hardest area first and it turns into a "can of worms" you can rip
>it out
>and start again, but if you've started from the trailing edge end of
>the
>root closeout, around the TP6 bush etc, it could be interesting what
>expletives you invent!! I am toying with doing this by myself which
>may also
>be tempting fate. Has anyone done this layup by themselves, and if so
>how
>did you feed the cloth into the job ahead of yourself  i.e. what did
>you do
>with the folded/rolled ply not yet applied to the job as you wetted
>out and
>worked the cloth in the closeout?
>Thanks in anticipation
>Reg
>Tony Renshaw
>Builder No.236

It's been some time since I completed this task but as I recall it was
pretty straight forward.  I started at the root tip and worked towards
the trailing edge outboard trim tab.  Firstly, I laid out my roll of bid
and using masking tape I made patterns for each piece of cloth.  I used
1/2" wide tape that when cut down the middle made a nice 1/4" border all
around the cloth (this is not necessary on the hinge plys as they are
pretty small and easy to work with).  The advantage of this method is
that is keeps the bid from stretching in any one direction.  After I
prepared the cloth I then wet out all the pieces required for the first
layer (three pieces I believe- tip to root) on Saran Wrap -  plastic
wrap.  I then transferred the cloth with the plastic wrap on it to the
Tail plane.  Once the cloth is in place and you are please with it remove
the plastic wrap.  When you get to the servo trailing edge tip use a
mixing stick  or squeege to gently push the cloth into this very tight
area.  It is not as difficult as it may seem. Note:  the plastic wrap is
still on at this stage.  Again, when you are satisfied with the layup
remove the wrap.  As you are working against the clock you may consider
trimming the cloth after every second layer, trimming two plys at once.

One last note, I found it much easier start with the tail plane resting
on the tip for the root close out, however I repositioned it to rest on
the leading edge once I started the trailing edge closeout and then back
to resting it on the tip for the servo tip closeout.

Good luck.

Erich Trombley
Builder A028