Flying surface sanding

Subject: Flying surface sanding
From: Martin J.Tuck <102034.2747@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 21:54:21
Flying surface sanding

Yes, its sanding time again - for me at least.

For those who have already completed their wings I would appeciate any hints on
determining when a wing or tail surface is sanded enough such that when a coat
of gloss is applied and people look along it, they won't see the reflections
distorted by any undulations etc which you thought were not there until you put
that final gloss coat on. I hope you understand what I mean, ie. how do I
achieve that mirror finish?

In its present matt form, seeing surface imperfections is difficult although I
find that the low strong morning sun (my workshop faces east) shows up any
imperfections well, but I am having to get up earlier and earlier to make use of
it and I am sure that there is a fool proof way - or am I worrying
unnecessarily?

On a similar note, has anyone tried System 3 primer and paints? Any comments or
recommendations would be welcomed.

Regards

Martin Tuck
Wichita, Kansas