Re: Europa-List: Re: Mod 73

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Mod 73
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 23:08:48
Alan=0Athat sounds OK to me.-=0ATry and visualize what you are testing. T
hese various backlash conditions are the result of -accumulation-of the
 backlash in a series of connections,-=0Athere are the pins that hold the
 tailplanes on (pip pins) then the ones that fix the drive-plates to the
torque tube. Next the ones that lock the assembly-=0Athat connects the pu
sh rod to the torque tube. After that the various rod end fittings-betwee
n there and the stick. You need to monitor the wear and tear of all the rod
 end fittings too.=0ASounds complicated but you must learn to understand yo
ur airplane; it will talk to you but usually it doesn't speak loudly so you
 have to listen carefully.=0AMost things change gradually and that's what y
our are trying to monitor.-=0AAll aircraft are like this but home/amateur
 built ones are more susceptible than store bought ones because they are "e
xperimental" and also built down to a price!=0AThat's the reason the ones t
hat survive the test of time-usually-perform a lot better than-produc
tion-designs which get no improvement after-=0Athey enter the market, t
heir design and-development-is-frozen-at that-point-because of
the excessive burocratic load of incorporating=0Aeven the simplest improvem
ent.=0AIMVHO=0AGraham=0ABud, get better soon, we need you, you're much bett
er at this than I am !{{:-)-=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0A
From: Alan Carter <alancarteresq@onetel.net>=0ATo: europa-list@matronics.co
m =0ASent: Tuesday, 9 October 2012, 22:21=0ASubject: Europa-List: Re: Mod 7
tel.net>=0A=0AHello Graham.=0AI went up to Headcorn today and carried out t
he checks as Bud listed.=0AI got behind the rudder tilted it to one side an
d more or less did the splits with my legs and could just reach the Stab be
yond the trim.=0AYou really do need long arm,s, i moved the Stab to each st
op and applied the one up and one down twisting pressure, and to my relief
i found no movement.=0AThen at the ends of the Stab i applied horizontal fo
re and aft movement, very small about 1/64" hardly detectable.=0APull the S
tab towards and way from me again no movement,=0AThe pipe pins that hold th
e Stab on the torque tube are located under an alloy cover plate , Maybe a
perspex cover would be better so you can see them.? (as i remember the pins
 are long with the little retaining balls well below the tube., and would h
it against the cover plate before coming out.)=0AI found slight play on the
 Stab Trim pin, i checked 7 Europa,s at Popham and found all the same amoun
t of play, only one had no play.=0AI then went to the joy stick here i foun
d a clunk click ie some playA.=0AI measured this at the top of the joystick
 and would say you could wobble it fore and aft, with a total play of betwe
en 4 to 5 mm before stab moved.=0AHow much if any should i have,?=0A=0AAlan
=0A=0A=0A=0A=0ARead this topic online here:=0A=0Ahttp://forums.matronics.co
=- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Matt Dralle
========