Europa-List: Re: Siun-N-Fun was fun - EFIS

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Siun-N-Fun was fun - EFIS
From: Jim Butcher <europa@triton.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 08:35:44

Keith,

We are flying our Europa XS with an older Blue Mountain EFIS 1 and EFIS Lite
for backup.  They work really well and are making test flight easy.  The new
G4 boxes have some really neat features and more are coming - I understand
weather (NEXRAD) will be along soon (Oshkosh??).  And since BMA really only
has one software, the older boxes get the new features.  In our case, we
will have to send the E1 back for additional memory in order to have the new
terrain zoom features.  It was a bit of a pain to get everything set up but
we have confidence that our sensors are calibrated - if you just hook up a
sending unit from ACS or a wire to the VDO on the Rotax, unless you test the
sensor, you don't know for sure.  Last evening I flew airspeed calibration
tests.  Now I will adjust the calibration table in the EFIS to eliminate
position error and indicated airspeed will be the same as calibrated
airspeed.  Really nice!!

Support from BMA is pretty good.  There is telephone support and there is a
discussion board.  I found the board very helpful - you can do a search for
a topic.  You must realize that most use the board for problem solving, so
don't be discouraged, most BMA owners get their systems working just fine.
And BMA can recommend shops that are experienced
with installing and working with their units.  They even offer on site
installation and set up - not a bad way to go if you have difficulty or are
intimidated by electronics.  The other great feature of the board is that
BMA monitors the board and incorporates changes and suggestions made on the
board.  There are several F 117 pilots who have helped Greg revise the HSI
and ADI displays to similar standards that the military uses.  The manuals
are not great, but Larry is rewriting them.  The ones he's done (power board
and G3 Lite) are quite good.

Jim & Heather Butcher
XS Mono, 914 N241BW