Re: Europa-List: Expanding brake fluid?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Expanding brake fluid?
From: ivor.phillips <ivor.phillips@ntlworld.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 14:36:32

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard" <riddon@btinternet.com>
Subject: Europa-List: Expanding brake fluid?

>> I changed the seals in the cylinders before installation as per
> instructions and used DOT5 synthetic brake fluid.
>
> Anyone else had this problem or can suggest a reason / solution?

The problem with DOT5 fluid is any water in the system will remain as water
and sink to the lowest part off the system, which naturally can cause
corrosion between the aluminium piston and calliper,
If the brakes have been left pressurised for a long period of time the seals
can swell a small amount, making the pistons stick,
The other possibility is the parking brake hydraulic valve is sticking
closed, bleeding the system should solve the problem,

A email to MATCO tech dept last week about my reluctance to use DOT5 fluid
for the reasons stated above, elicited the response to use ATF hydraulic
fluid instead of DOT 5, But unfortunately i am still trying to determine if
ATF will be suitable for the new finger brake master cylinder seals,

My preferred choice would be DOT 5.1 fluid which is far superior to the
standard hydraulic fluids used, but would need the seals changed in the
callipers,
http://www.minimania.com/MM/BRAKES___Silicone_brake_fluid__to_use_or_not_to_use___that_is_the_question__785.htm

     http://hometown.aol.com/tfrecord/page30.html

read these two articles for further enlightenment

regards

Ivor Phillips
XS486