G`

Subject: G`
From: Fergkyle <ve3lvo@rac.ca>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 16:36:30
Cheers,
            Now that the topic of 'G' has come up, I thought it might be
prudent for those not yet introduced to G to note that there's Level G and
Rolling G
Level G is the usual restriction which everyone discusses. Rolling G can be
far more destructive and restrictive.
            Our early T-33 trainers had a 6.0G level, but only 4.5 Rolling
G. Guess which bent the most? The F-86 had a 7.0G level, but only 5.5G
Rolling - it makes a difference - bring back an over-G reading and they
check the wing. bring back an over-G with roll involved and they toss the
wing away. The T-33 wind was built upside down - bottom skin last. There was
a batch of early T-birds at the plant which were second- or third -ordered
bunch. The plant had made a topskin jig and overbuilt about two dozen
topskins. These were stacked and several months later, ribs and spar added.
But they were stowed crookedly, so the wing warped and was built in.
When time came to test-fly it was like flying a propeller. In order to get
it past the RCAF test pilots, the tiptank came off, a long strong bar was
bolted on and a dozen of us hung onto the front and jumped up and down. When
the theodolite Ok'd the warp, the tip tank was bolted on, tanks filled and
test pilot called chopchop. He'd accept the trainer, and two weeks later an
instructor out in Saskachewan would moan, "I can't get that @#$%
fly straight!!"
        Watch the rolling G.
Happy Landings