RE: Fuel tank & systems

Subject: RE: Fuel tank & systems
From: Plantragg Developments <ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 09:59:57
Hi! Paul McAllister and Best wishes for year 2000. I may be not very
helpful on this but you need to speak to Andy Draper at Europa Re :- water
drain mod. I think it's mandatory so you should be entitled to the mod and
components, which include  lengths of copper pipe which you bend to collect
water from the rearmost bottom corner of both sides of the saddle tanks,
since the aircraft sits tail down the water will collect there.Then there
is a revised aluminium fitting which makes provision for two exit pipes in
each location (one for the water and one for the clean fuel with a gauze to
restrain any solids) Both assemblies are inserted into the tank exits with
about a 2" piece of rubber hose jubilee clipped to the tank and the
assembly , then the fuel pipes can continue from there. In the case of the
mono wheel a/c the water drain needs extending backwards along the fuselage
to a lower position . On the trike which parks in a more horizontal
position I have put my water drain taps into the inspection window so when
draining water I will need to remove the inspection window to allow it to
be much lower than the tank. Alternatively , you could locate in the same
place as the mono but get someone to hold the tail down when checking for
water !!!!
On the question of aluminium pipes I guess this wish comes out of a desire
for "self preservation" ! have stuck to the plastic pipes but arranged for
the site gauge to be up the forward tank bulkhead between the seats and
shrouded the plastic pipe in another rigid plastic pipe with the orifice
between filled with gliscerene. This way I get the benefit of about X3
light refraction magnification of a black line drawn on a white plastic
card inserted in the orifice behind the plastic fuel pipe  indicating the
level of the fuel. I've cut a 1" wide x 3" long slot into the top of the
tunnel in front of the pipe enabling you to see it  below the tunnel level,
but at this fuel level you are below the saddle split anyway and should be
landing for more fuel ! Whilst this still utilises the plastic pipes it at
least shortens the length and keeps it back from the firewall., and doesn't
surround the Pilot.! The final run of the sight gauge vent  returns into
the front tank bulkhead in copper bundy brake pipe across the top of the
tank to exit above the tank vent pipe and continues in plastic.( When the
plastic becomes "dated" at least that part will not require replacement!)
IMHO the use of solid aluminium pipes presents unforeseen problems in
fixing , fretting , and flexing. You will need to use some plastic pipe
though because of the restrictor plug.
On the question of tank expansion I'm wondering if you have a later tank
than pre-expansion is necessary , I would check with the factory since I
know they changed the mix about our number.
However , what is important is to get the tank positioned correctly in the
vertical position (talking with the aircraft parked in normal mode ,
because it is confusing which is vertical when the tank is inserted with
the cockpit module upside down or indeed nose down ) The potential for
spar/tank  contact is on the upper edges of the spar  where the tank
overhangs the spars, the fore and aft dimension is maintained adequate by
the aluminium/plywood spacers on the forward tank bulkhead.
Hope this goes partway to assist you .! Better give me a landline call if
it's too deep to register!!
01472. 852498.
Regards
Bob Harrison 337 G-PTAG.